Do you ever find it difficult to love others? Ever find it hard to love other brothers and sisters in Christ? As a church, we are a family, and families are supposed to love one another. So when two members don’t love one another that can make “family gatherings” a little awkward and can create distractions. Satan loves when Christians don’t love each other. Satan takes any and every opportunity to isolate and divide churches because without each other and love, Christians become vulnerable, and Satan thrives on that.
We should love each other (other Christians) and love those who are non-believers, but you should also realize that non-believers think differently and value differently. Yes, you should hang out with people who are non-believers. The bible tells us we should love our enemies. How often do you talk about Jesus with your friends who are non-believers? If it’s not very often is it because you want them to love you, or you’re afraid they may disagree, or you don’t want to offend them? You don’t need their approval. They need to hear the Gospel and about Jesus, because He is love and the one way to Heaven. Your life should be an overflow of love, and no one should question whether or not you’re a Christian. It certainly shouldn’t be a surprise to others that you are a Christian. Jesus was hated by many, so let me tell you something: you will be hated too, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t love. We should love others because Jesus loves us. Apart from Jesus, no one knows love.
• Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8
• A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. 1 John 13:34-35
• But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Matthew 5:44
How can we love others?
• We can serve others.
• We can give to others of our time and gifts.
• We can care for others.
We should be other-ly minded. It’s not about you or me anyways. It’s about Jesus.
So why should we love? Because Jesus loved us first!!
– Chelsae Knight (a college student who loves Jesus and her community)
What Scriptures do you turn to when you need to be reminded to love others?